Friday, May 30, 2008

A related to but not x365 post

I am getting a lot from this writing project. It provides an opportunity to reflect and remember and connect. It's short and usually very quick. The challenge is in writing about certain people. In some cases too much to contemplate. Sometimes a great temptation to say more. Knowing just what to pick out from either years of stuff or a brief foggy moment. So it's not always simple, but I think it's good for me.

My list can use some editing and I've been doing that a little. I was admittedly scraping the bottom of the barrel (not with Ron) but with the waitress at a restaurant I go to with the girls.

I love reading what others are making or made of their projects. The original x365 is Dan's and he paints a pretty picture. You should read his words.

And here's what else I am thinking about: Judgment: a seemingly constant struggle. Kindness: too often a struggle. So there is that.

7 comments:

mothership72 said...

Hi Meg,
At the end of your post you said, "And here's what else I am thinking about: Judgment: a seemingly constant struggle...." Just wondering if you could expound on that. I too have thoughts about judjement, mainly, how it affects my perception.
Thanks

AnnetteK said...

Just wanted you to know I've been reading and enjoying them. It's interesting that you've limited the number of words. I haven't seen anyone else do that in this project and I'm sure that makes it harder!

Ice Cream said...

I've been reading through these and they are fascinating. I can see the torture it must be to stick to your word limit. But you write them so well. I hope that somewhere you ahve gone into more detail of each person. I would love to hear those stories as well.

Thanks for stopping by today.

Meg said...

Thanks so much for saying hi. This isn't a real comment generating project and I am surprised- and pleased- that you're out there.

Mothership- Yes, I am marinating on that but yes, I will write more soon.

catnip- :) It's nice of you to say so, thanks. I think without the word limit this would be a totally different project. Dan- the original x365 writes this explanation: 40 words is a tiny lens to look through. How do you put a mother, an ex-wife, a best friend, or the love of your life into 40 words when that's not even enough for the junior high math teacher, or the son of the guy who sold meats and cheeses to the place you worked? There's only one way to find out. And I think that's pretty inspiring.

MICD: thanks for boomeranging :)
It's funny that you say that because I wrote several different stanzas foe x10, and had such a hard time selecting one. I've been thinking since that I could set up a subset of longer stories also with some sort of restriction or guidelines. I am not sure, but I am thinking about it, moreso now with your suggestion.

Thanks for making time to say hi.

-M

Stu said...

I don't think you were scraping the bottom of the barrel with the waitress. I think that your life is your life and your experiences are your experiences - everything is equal in the end, because you give us the complete picture. It's like a digital camera - the more megapixels, the better.

Meg said...

Did you say Meg-apixels? Hmmm...

Thanks for always readin'.

I just have to make sure I actually have something to say about these folks.

Stu said...

Well, that's my point. You're a writer, you have something to say about *everybody* - you may not be comfortable with that thought, you may confuse your artist's eye for great fodder with being judgmental, but as long as you're not insensitive, don't stifle yourself. Let the artist out to play.