Monday, November 03, 2008

36x365x117


You coached boy's soccer at school. Before- I was one of a few who played with them. Then- I was supposed to switch to skirt and stick. But I made your team.

Happy eyes. Easy smile.


**************************************************************************************
Of this, I remember boys being mad that they were displaced from the team. I remember shaking as I dressed in a silent empty locker room and having to go into the boy's locker room for the pre-game team meeting. (Oh, I remember the smell.) I remember part relief part disappointment when we faced another team with another girl. Part pride part fear at being the only one.

I remember this kind man's easy and generous ways- his crows feet and almost the sound of his laugh.

1 comment:

InTheFastLane said...

What an awesome experience, even if you had to tick off a few boys. Great coaches can make a huge difference in kids' lives. And I have been lucky enough to know a couple.