Tuesday, July 25, 2006

"Hey Mom,"


...my 6 year old says, "do you think you'll win your race?"

"No, A, I won't."

"Why not?"

"There are a lot of other people racing and they have been doing it for a lot longer than I have."

He ponders my reply. "Mom, you should really try to win."

"I'm not going to win, but hopefully, I'll finish."

"What if you try really, really hard?"

"Even then, buddy."

"Why, Mom?"

"There are a lot of people who will be faster than me."

"You should try your hardest."

"Oh, I will, buddy. I am practicing every day and I am going to do my very best."

"You might win."


Yup, I might win. If the planets are aligned, God miraculously makes me a runner the night before the event, there is a bizarre forcefield around Range State Park that prevents all other participants from entering the race, oh and hell freezes over. Then, buddy, I might have a chance of placing... maybe. Isn't a 6 year old's mind predictable? I have as good a chance as winning as this chick. What confidence. How delusional. I love it. I can't wait to see his reaction on race day. God, I have to finish.

8 comments:

jeanne said...

funny! oh to be six again!

Unknown said...

i love the simplicity of it. parents are superheros in the minds of their kids...and that is awesome.

Anonymous said...

Love that child mentality. :) If only we could be so optimistic. Good luck with your training!

Legs and Wings said...

Kids are so great at that age. Megin, it's good to meet you. I'll pop back from time to time. I'm across the Gulf of Maine from you in Nova Scotia. Can you see me, I'm waving.

Mmem said...

How sweet that your ds has such confidence in you:) GL in your race!

Mrs. Snark said...

Wow, I'm glad I discovered your blog in time to read the whole thing and then wait for the exciting Wild Bear race report!

This comment: "it tasted kind of like liver and onions rolled in dirt" from one of your previous posts made me laugh out loud and will probably get me in trouble at work since I'm reading your blog instead of working.

Don't worry about finishing WB, you WILL finish, do you really have any doubt? And who cares if you (or I) come in dead last. I expect if I do finish last to get an outrageous amount of applause for just being there in the first place! They'll likely never have seen such a happy last place person before. =)

Wes said...

Hey Meg!

Yea, its hard for a six year old to understand we do it for "Luv of the Game". Keep working hard. You're gonna be fine. I can't wait to here all about it.

Wes

April Anne said...

Awww...very cute! I ran a marathon this past June and when I arrived back to my 5th grade class, they asked "Did you win?" :)
Welcome to the RBF!