Saturday, July 01, 2006

Great Ice Cream, a Great Run, and some kid stuff

Our ice cream party last night was delish. There were about 40 people here, more kids than grown ups. It was such an easy party to have and it was absolutely fantastic to observe the kids (ranging in age from 4 months to 17) playing together. That's right, together. There was a great pick up game of soccer, some red light green light and a whole lot of fun. Other than a few minor falls there was very little crying and so much laughter. I remember being a kid and the excitement of being to "host family" for a party like that. Aidan and Clay felt that, and I loved watching them leading new friends around and truly diving into it. We live in a nice place with nice people and I love that a lot of us really seem to like each other. Oh, and the sundaes? TOP NOTCH.

Despite the fact that I stayed up really late catching up with my sister, I woke up, tied on some running shoes and headed out only slightly behind schedule. I have a running buddy who is at a very similar fitness level. We walk very regularly and we've run together a handful of times. We hit our stride today and were able to run a record 1.25 miles without a walk break. That may not seem like much, but for us, it really is. We were both pretty pumped. I came across this quote: "Running is a lot like life. Only 10 percent of it is exciting. 90 percent of it is slog and drudge." - Dave Bedford, English distance runner who occasionally put in 200 miles a week in training. I felt the slog and drudge for the 1st .9 miles today. And then I realized I didn't have to stop. That felt good. Really good. I pushed on and through. I even picked up a little speed towards the end. We rock ;}.

Later in the day, at the beach, I took a nice fast walk with 3 of my sisters. Tomorrow I'd like to arrive early enough to run on the beach during low tide. That will be a new one for me. I might stick to the road. I need another little blast of success.

So, the beach and some kid stuff:

We really, really like the beach. Sometimes we go very early and stay right through dinner and the sky's really blue and the breeze is light and the water is so cold that your body gets numb. One of those days= 2 regular relaxing days. (Can you relate to that?) Today was the first day of our family reunion and our first visit to the ocean this year. (Damn rain). The sky was barely blue and the wind was just cold. The kids loved it. Lots of cousins, lots of games, lots of time.

My kids approach the water very differently. Aidan dives right in and has no fear. None. Today as the tide was coming in (very quickly) he was in the water with the boogy board and caught some great waves. We had a scary moment when he was getting tugged out just a little too far, too fast. Rob went in to get him. Is that a rip tide? Maybe. Clay stuck pretty close to shore but was still able to catch a few rides right up to the sand. This is new for him. Last year he wanted nothing to do with any of the waves. Lucy loved walking through the rivers as the tide was coming in... as long as we were holding hands. I love love love to see my kids developing this relationship with the water and the beach. It is beautiful.

By the by, Rob made a fabulous pita filler of turkey, shredded cheddar, lettuce, tomato, avacado and a little mayo. He added the avacado last and we are pretty sure that if he had held off on the mayo we could have completely skipped it. It was so yummy. Good food is really good.

No comments: